I’ve really got into quinoa lately as I’ve finally realised how to cook it well, so it comes out all fluffy and delicious. Quinoa is a fantastic protein source and it’s particularly good as part of a weight-loss plan because it is actually a legume not a carbohydrate, so makes you feel fuller for longer. This recipe is packed with flavour, and can serve as a tasty side or the main event with the addition of some tasty beans or cashew cheese.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- tbsp olive oil
- handful of chopped parsley
- generous squeeze of lemon juice
- tbsp dairy-free pesto (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cut into small chunks) + olive oil for roasting
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Place the sweet potato on an oven tray, drizzle over a generous amount of olive oil (and paprika for a more smokey flavour), then roast for 25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa in a sieve and wash under cold water.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa to the pan and quickly stir just to coat in the oil, then add the stock.
- Leave the pan on a medium-high heat until it comes to the boil. When this occurs, stir the quinoa once (and once only), cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. Do NOT take off the lid until the 15 minutes is up, resist the temptation!
- After the 15 minutes, check the quinoa is cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the parsley, lemon juice and pesto to the quinoa and mix together. Then mix in the roasted sweet potato and serve immediately or serve cold later. Enjoy!
n.b. You can adapt this recipe a lot by adding different roasted vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, peppers, aubergine etc. However keep the herb and lemon dressing the same to ensure a lovely fresh and zingy flavour.
Lots of love,