I really love card making, don’t get me wrong I’m a total amateur, but I think the beauty of making a card is that it doesn’t matter how good you are at drawing or cutting and sticking – A homemade card will always be appreciated and shows you really cared to put in the time to make it…
WHY HOMEMADE CARDS ARE THE BEST:
As I say, people will be delighted when they get a personalised card from you. Even if you’ve just stuck on their name with letter stickers, or coloured in some words, right through to a full-blown masterpiece. It shows that you think they’re unique, so you had to make a one-of-a-kind card!
It is actually far cheaper than buying cards. These days a bought card can cost two or three pounds, which is actually quite a lot when you add it up. You can buy a whole pack of blank cards with envelopes for only slightly more than that and then all you need is a pen to easily break even. But even with nice pens, stickers and accessories, you will still spend way less than you would for a shop-bought card, and get a far nicer, more personal result.
You don’t need to be an artist or know how to make perfect cards, you just need to know what your recipient likes or what theme you want and you can go for it. Whether you just stick on some card or paper, or thread some beads together to make something more tricky, the recipient will love it!
THINGS TO BUY/REUSE:
- Cards and envelopes – lots of stationary shops sell these, John Lewis do loads of different colours.
- Letter stickers – I find these are so easy but somehow make your card look great in an instant – so if you’re in a hurry, you could make a personalised card in literally a minute just by spelling out someone’s name
- Ribbons and buttons – new or you can just reuse them from elsewhere, I often do
- Glue/glue dots
- Scissors – normal, but you can also get ones with cool zig-zag edges if you want a more interesting edge
- Coloured pens and pencils – always great for decorating or writing your message
- Beads – you can thread these onto string and make shapes from them to stick onto cards
- Washi tape – this patterned tape is great for decoration and borders
The world is your oyster with card-making, so you can use whatever you want to make your own unique cards – so get making something really special!
Lots of love,