This is the comfort food of the century! Filling, tasty, cheesy, warm, straight out of the oven – macaroni cheese is everything that you want from a lazy evening at home. In the past, my vegan macaroni cheeses have dried out in the oven and I’ve basically realised the trick is to make loads and loads of sauce, so that this will never happen! This one is super easy, vegan and is wonderfully indulgent!
For the sauce and pasta:
- 4 heaped tbsps vegan margarine
- 5 heaped tbsps plain flour (or enough to make a good paste with the butter)
- 400ml almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 75g vegan cheese, grated (I find cheeze cheddar style is good)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
- 400g pasta (macaroni, fusilli, whatever you fancy)
For the topping:
- 50g vegan cheese, grated
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to form a smooth paste.
- Add half of the milk gradually, stirring into the butter and flour paste completely before adding more.
- When it reaches a smooth sauce consistency, add the vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, mustard and some pepper to season.
- Place back on a low-medium heat and add the remaining milk gradually as the cheese melts.
- At the same time as the cheese is melting, cook the pasta for 10 minutes or so until al dente and drain.
- Put the pasta and sauce in an oven tray and mix together, scatter on the breadcrumbs and vegan cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
Lots of love,