I love cooking but I never thought I’d get to the stage where I could make my own cheese!! I got this from veganlife magazine but changed the nuts involved to cashews – my favourite for cheese. The great thing about being vegan – is that it is far easier to make vegan cheese than normal cheese, as you don’t need loads of specialist equipment. Just a blender and a tuppaware will set you up. This shallot and chive soft cheese is delicious and has hardly any ingredients…
- 130g cashew nuts
- 75g oat milk (or other grain milk)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Cover the cashews with cold water in a bowl and leave to soak for 8 hours.
- Drain the cashews, then add to the blender with the oat milk and blend until the mixture has a consistency like soft cheese.
- Spoon into a small tuppaware or sealable box and leave at room temperature to ferment for 36 hours.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Spoon the cheese into a small ramekin dish and push down to compact it with a spoon. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Serve on bread, bagels or on top of jacket potatoes. Keeps for about a week in the fridge. Enjoy!
Lots of love,