Oh what a time to be alive! When one can make a Victoria Sponge with no dairy, no egg, no cruelty to animals and it actually tastes amazing!!! I’ve adapted this recipe from one I found from Tesco of all sources, and it is awesome. A wonderfully british cake – perfect for summer which is just around the corner and a real show-stopper too…
For the cake:
- 400g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g caster sugar
- 115ml sunflower oil
- 400ml almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- 250g strawberries, hulled and halved for decoration
For the icing:
- 250g dairy free spread
- 500g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, or 160°C for fan ovens. Grease two cake tins with vegan margarine, cut out a circle of greaseproof paper to cover the bottom of each tin and lightly grease these too.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Whisk together the sunflower oil, almond milk, golden syrup and vanilla essence in a separate bowl. Then add to the dry ingredients and speedily whisk for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove carefully from the tin and leave to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Make the buttercream by whisking the icing sugar and margarine together in a medium-sized bowl, then cover with cling film and place in the fridge to firm up whilst the cakes are cooling.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the surface of one of the sponges, then cover this with half of the buttercream icing.
- Carefully place the second sponge on top of the iced sponge, then spread the remaining icing sugar across the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the top of the cake with strawberries and you’re done. Keeps for up to a week in a cake-tin and stays nice and moist. Enjoy!
Lots of love,