Okay so I know that pancake day has just passed – but I really wasn’t sure I’d be able to make good vegan pancakes, so I wasn’t too excited about it. Turns out – vegan pancakes are one of the easiest things you could possibly make and now I just want to have pancakes all the time. This recipe makes about 6 large pancakes for savoury and sweet fillings and is super quick and easy!
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Whizz all the ingredients together in a blender (or whisk together in a bowl if you haven’t got a blender handy). Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Heat up a large frying pan on a high heat until it’s very hot (this is crucial so the pancakes cook really quickly and don’t stick), then add a small amount of olive oil (about half a teaspoon) and swirl around the pan. (Add the half teaspoon of oil each time before the next pancake!)
- Then add 3tbsp of batter mixture to the pan (do it quickly) and swirl around the pan until the batter has reached the edges (do this really quickly too as it cooks very fast).
- When there are lots of little holes forming in the pancake, use a spatula to check the the edges come away nicely, then flip and cook on the other side for about 30 seconds or until golden.
- Serve for the main course, pudding or both!
n.b. You can keep the pancakes warm whilst you are cooking them by placing them on a plate above a bowl of warm water, and covering with a tea towel.
Some great savoury fillings are houmous, mushrooms, peppers and olives. For sweet fillings I automatically go for chocolate, peanut butter, banana, strawberries, agave syrup or just simple lemon and sugar!
To make an amazing chocolately pancake, between step 3 and 4 add a dollop of chocolate spread, let it melt and spread it on top of the pancake. Add some more batter to cover the chocolate and allow to cook for about a minute, then flip. Result: Warm gooey chocolate pancake!
So get making these – as it would be a crime to restrict these wonders just to pancake day!
Lots of love,